Built in 1900 with an addition that duplicated the original design in 1914, the Silvers Building served as a State Savings Bank for 80 years. Today it serves as a venue for pop-up events.
To bring the building back to life, interior upgrades were made to meet the life safety code standards including intensive cleaning, new toilet rooms, and the implementation of a sprinkler system. The light grids within the decorated coffered ceiling were upgraded to illuminate the space, while maintaining the original textured glass lenses. Two central safes with operable brass doors were preserved and offer a transition between the original building and the addition. Interior window bays were originally designed to mimic those on the building’s exterior, while a mezzanine wraps around the entire first floor.
For the exterior restoration, a historic materials conservation expert worked closely with the design and construction team on appropriate cleaning methods specific to the type and age of the historic Georgian marble. All of the wood sash from the monumental windows were removed, stripped, shop primed, and repainted once back in place, meeting Detroit Historic District and the National Park Service standards. A micrograph analysis was conducted on the painted bronze around the windows to determine the most effective way of protecting the beautiful metal underneath.